Sunday, July 22, 2012

Update and Buckwheat Banana Bread

I am feeling a little more rested today, but this is where I can get myself in trouble.  The couch is calling my name.  And I know I need to obey:-)

Here is the recipe I mentioned yesterday:
Buckwheat Banana Bread
Yeast Connection Cookbook
2 Tbsp flax seeds, ground
1/3 c water
1 1/2 c buckwheat groats (I used some gluten free flour in place of grinding up the buckwheat)
1/2 c pumpkin (or other) seeds
2 tbsp tapioca starch flour (I used potato)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Xanthum Gum
1/2 tsp nutmeg or cinnamon ( I used both)
2/3 c chopped walnuts or other nuts
1/4 c walnut oil or other oil (I used the walnut oil since I had it)
2 c. mashed bananas (You could also use applesauce, pumpkin, pineapple puree, pears)
1/2 tsp unbuffered, corn free vitamin C crystals*
2 tsps baking soda*
2 Tbsp boiling water*

*You can use 2 tsp of baking powder in place of this combination.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine flax seeds with water in a small saucepan.  Bring to a rolling boil and immediately remove from heat.  (I used my glass measuring cup and did this step in the microwave on high for 2 minutes)  Set aside to soak until needed.

In a blender, grind 1/3 cup of the groats in fine flour.  Place a strainer over a mixing bowl and pour in flour.  Rub the flour through with a spoon, returning unground pieces to blender.  Repeat three time or until all groats have been ground.  (I would have tried this if I had, had the groats, but this is where I substituted with the gluten free flour.)

Oil and flour and 8 x 4 inch pan.  Tap the pan gently to coat the bottom and sides with flour.  Tap any extra flour back into the mixing bowl.

Combine pumpkin seeds, tapioca starch, salt, xanthum gum, and spices in blender.  Blend on high 1 minute, stopping twice to scrape the bottom.  Add seed mixture directly into the flour and whisk together well.

Combine in blender oil and add 2 ripe bananas, broken into 1" pieces.  Blend.  Continue to add banana chunks until you have the equivalent of 2 1/4 cups.  (I ended up using three bananas).  Add the baking powder (or vitamin C crystals) and the flax mixture.  Blend one minute.

Pour the liquid mixture over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  If using the vitamin C crystals you will need to dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water.  Add to the batter and stir with a few swift strokes until water disappears (don't beat it).  Quickly scrape batter into pan and place in hot oven.

Immediately reduce temperature to 325 degrees.  Bake for 70 minutes or until a toothpick thrust in the middle comes out dry.  Remove from the oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes.  Turn it out on a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.

I thought it was very good.  It is not terribly sweet, but it still tastes like banana bread.  I want to try this with pumpkin.  I will let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment