Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Waiting

I am waiting, waiting on you Lord. This song by John Waller from the movie Fireproof keeps going through my head. I think God is working on my willingness to wait. Because I have been gluten free for a long time I am not noticing changes like Keri. But it is the tiredness I am wanting to lift, so I am waiting. A friend invited me to lunch at her house yesterday. It is funny, I don't feel deprived on this diet, at least not until I go outside my own little world. I forget about what I can't have until someone starts telling me what they are planning to fix. Peggy is a great cook and an awesome hostess after going through a litany of potential combinations we had a salad with tuna, hard boiled eggs, tomato, lettuce and my favorite, olive oil and lemon juice for a dressing. She understands as she tries to eat this way off and on.

Here is another salad idea:
Summer Squash Ribbons with Oregano, Basil and Lemon 
Cooking Light July 2008
3 sm. zucchini @ 1 lb.
3 sm. yellow squash @ 1 lb.
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp grated lemon rind
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic minced
1/3 c thinly sliced fresh basil
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1/4 c. (1 oz.) shaved fresh parmesan

Shave zucchini and yellow squash into ribbons using a vegetable peeler stopping at the seeds, place ribbons in a large bowl. Discard seed cores.

Combine oil, rind, juice, salt, pepper and garlic in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Drizzle oil mixture over vegetable ribbons.

Sprinkle with basil and oregano. Toss gently. Sprinkle with cheese. In our case serve on the side.

Serve immediately I realize that I forgot the lemon rind and the oregano as I type this up this morning as I had fixed this last night to have with steak and tomatoes at mom and dads. I will add a little of both when I have it for lunch today:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment